Saturday 24 September 2011

Leopard Print Mani!


I'm not a make up artist by any means but I tried out a surprisingly simple little experiment inspired by the lovely Dashing Jash's birthday festivities last week. It was my first attempt but I'm glad I took some pictures to share. 

Step One:  
              Pick your Colours


Pick out three to five colours. One as your base coat, one to define the spots and one or more to make spots with. Also have a clear top coat and a fine eyeliner brush ready.

To be perfectly honest I just used three colours I liked the look of together. I purchased two pretty pale OPI shades from their Pirates of the Caribbean collection last month. The grey is "Skull and Glossbones" and the pink "Steady as She Rose" which I teamed them with a Rimmed lacquer called "Darkly Divine" because it is a deep purple, but not as harsh as black against pretty pale pink and grey. I tend to think that most of us have certain tastes and what I mean by that is if you think neon pink, bronze and cobalt blue will look good then go for it! I'm keen to try the same grey with red and black or three different browns for a real kitty cat vibe.There really are no rules, I just prefer things that tone well but each to their own.

Step Two:
                             Base 



Start with a good base, I always prefer to do two thin coats because I always tend to smudge one thick base coat. Please make sure it is thoroughly dried!

Step Three:
           Go Dotty



Make randomly sized and shaped dots on the base coast in a contrasting colour. Mines is not so contrasting so they are rather difficult to see, my apologies. 

Step Four:
          Change Your Spots


Define or outline the dots with irregular strokes and add some dots close to them every now and again, this is great because it doesn't have to be perfect. In fact I liked the odd outlines best, I had some leopard print fabric with me for the photographs but it also helped as a reference point with the outlines. I used the brush from an old nail lacquer that had a super skinny (therefore generally useless) brush but the eyeliner brush would have the same effect. 

Seal with a coat or two of clear top coat and go on the prowl! See, not so hard at all. If I can do it, anyone can. 



                             

No comments:

Post a Comment